Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Resident BOOEvil

Alice in a same old flick
Now I know I don't have to expect too much when it comes to movie franchises, let alone Resident Evil. I think audiences got pretty tired with the last three movies which were basically have the same plot. Alice against Umbrella Corp. Too bad I didn't see this movie in 3D, that I believe would have given a bit of an edge.

The movie begins when Alice played by Milla Jovovich is trying to destroy the Umbrella Corp using her newly discovered clones and goes deep inside Umbrella Head Quarters in Tokyo to kill Wesker, played by Shawn Roberts. Afterlife is simply more the same excuse to have big special effects and continue a plot that simply seems will never end with Umbrella continuing on forever in the next 'afterlife'.
The monsters in this movie were good, but I think the zombies don't really play much of a part in the horror and are simply there just to add to the atmosphere. Also, I felt that near the end, it borrows too much from the Matrix and was really nothing original. But I especially liked the scene where Alice and Claire battled the Axeman in the bathroom. I imagined it would be very very good when you watch it in 3D.

After all... One wonders how much lower can the franchise go now. I'm not saying this isn't entertaining nor is it visually nice, but I think if they keep doing this over and over, it's gonna wear thin pretty soon. I know technology is one huge thing now, but somewhat I find myself longing for original classic movie that really show the real talent of the casts and thick plot. Well that's just my two cents :)